child of the other side http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d118/marlietje/poemdinges.jpg Hello everybody and welcome to a new English Poetry Contest! This challenge will be organized every month, by Marlie (child of the other side) and Charlotte (Sweet Hermione). The idea is very simple. We decide the subject, you write the poem. (And of course, we’ll try to make an entry as well.) This can be anything that’s inspiring; another poem, a lyric, a title, a picture, a word, etc. We’ll try to vary the subject as much as possible. Every participant has to maintain the following rules: - You are not allowed to write more than one poem per contest - The poem must be yours - The poem must have something to do with the subject. Please write a few words above/below your poem to tell us a little about it (just like you usually do) - Don’t comment on other people, you can do that via the pb-button or during the voting - Don’t make your poem too long, 5 pages about one subject is boring - Let someone beta it. There are many beta-readers on HPF and Cotos, TONKS and SH are willing to assist people who do want to compete but are not that good in English. With the right words your poem reads a lot easier. Don’t be ashamed just pb - You must send your poem to SH or to Cotos; you’re no longer allowed to post it by yourself About the voting: - Don’t vote for yourself nor before SH / Cotos give permission. If you do your vote won't count - Explain with more then 15 words why you’ve chosen a certain poem. “I love it” won’t do - You only have three votes. The first vote will be 3 points, the second vote 2 points, and your last vote will be 1 point. We will count all these points per person. The three poets with the most points are the winners. Please, place these votes in the same post and think before you make a choice, we don’t appreciate cheaters - You have to vote before the given date, if you cast your vote later it doesn’t count Well, those were the rules and now the most important part; PRIZES! 1st place - 40 sickles 2nd place - 30 sickles 3rd place - 20 sickles No one can win the first price more than 3 times in a row. If so, SH / Cotos will decide what to do. I hope you all understand why we do this. The subject of this month is YOU! Write a poem about yourself, your emotions, some memories, things you like, etc. As long as it is about you. That shouldn't be too hard, right? Please send your poem between the 2nd and the 24th of April. And you can vote between the 24th and 30th (24.00) of April. We wish everybody good luck and lots of fun. If you have any suggestions, tips, notes or ideas; feel free to use the lovely pb-button, it’s begging to be pushed. Charlotte (Sweet Hermione) and Marlie (Cotos). ----------------------------------- Sweet Hermione 1st poem The subject this month was 'you'. The last two years was some mess in my life, so I decided to write something about that. You're warned, it can get cheesy :') I choose to rhyme as less as possible because rhyme gives the feeling 'yes, this is right', and that's not how that period was. And since it's the subject of the poem... --- My heart was dwelling in a garden of pain Each flower a sting, each thorn made me bleed But then her eyes blinded me, misguided me As if her soul was within mine If only I had known back then It was just a dream It was just what I wanted to see My grief was consuming me as I couldn’t bear my life The enticing ocean I could not resist As I wanted to flow away with the meaninglessness For that was how all of this felt My endless endeavours to escape from the world Just ended with a blink of an eye As she held me in her grip, I was a willingly lamb What does now remain but the question Was she the wolf and I the pray Or was it just the other way? ----------------------------------- Sweet Hermione 2nd poem This poem I wrote is about the hard times I go trough. Sometimes things happen that are unexpected and unpleasant, things that make you feel a little like dying. Those times make me think about what life really is about. I realize that some things may happen just to make us stronger in the end. --- Stronger Loneliness and Darkness With a sparkling Light. My Life keeps on turning In Circels without an End And I ask myself A thousand times. I search the World But Never found what I’m looking for And Never reached the Place where I was going And I just can’t wait. My Journey goes on Untill the End Of a new Beginning. And I keep on believing In what doesn’t exist. I’m running Forever going I passed my Final Finish And didn’t notice it I left it behind me And I don’t look back. I don’t turn my Head away From Problems and Mistakes I know Today Tomorrow, I’ll be Stronger. ----------------------------------- Sweet Hermione 3rd poem This sort of sums up my general view on life. It's a bit messy, but that's probably because I tried to say a lot at once. Hope you like it (: Oh and please look beyond the cheesy title xD By the way, when you understand the way my mind works (there are only a few people who do, but never mind) and when you look close enough, you might find that there are lots of things in this poem pointing in my direction. --- Always look on the bright side of life Late night strolls along the beach Laughing fires filled with love Dancing away in admiration Guitars gently playing Going out of their happy minds Captivated by the smiling sun Positive thinking is what I say Picking sunflowers in the garden Tender hearted banana ice cream Summer beauty hugging me forever more So I’ll never stop talking about you Visual through teasing sunbeams Writing letters on my reddish skin When will we turn green? Illustrating the news about free hugs Silently kissing the night goodbye Softly enjoying delicate songs and smiles I turn and dance away ----------------------------------- Sweet Hermione 4th poem When I thought about myself, the first thing I thought about were promises. The thousand promises I make each day, and even more the promises I break the same day. --- Broken I sit and stare at the broken memories For years I believed them to be locked Save inside my head where no one comes But now they are on the table, forcing me to see Again I promises myself I will get better I will get out of all these lies and live Tomorrow, my new life will start And tomorrow, all the broken memories will be fixed Today will be the last day that I cry I won’t return to you tomorrow morning But when I’m leaving tonight you’ll beg me to return And again the broken promises remain forgotten ----------------------------------- Sweet Hermione 5th poem This subject was really difficult for me. I wrote in the past four years hundreds of poems about myself but none good enough. this poem has made me realize so many thing about myself and somewhere it helps me a bit with the situation I'm in at the moment. I decided to start the poem with the moment I made one of my biggest mistakes ever. A mistake that is still following me every moment I feel down. It's emotional for me and somewhere I am really proud of it, because it gives me a good feeling about the past years. --- Years passed since the first time The first time in the passage I could scream 'till my lungs failed I could cry 'till my tears dried up The one moment of truth The one moment of betrayal The steps were easily made And the scars will never fade Lies and broken smiles It looked so easy at the beginning But then again Mistakes are so easily made Walking in the dark Searching for the light Knowing that going back Is the easy step I tell you I learned from my mistakes Knowing that I will still be lying And give you the broken smile Just to calm you down Will I ever learn To accept my mistakes? Will ever learn To live without the broken smiles? ----------------------------------- Sweet Hermione 6th poem This subject is hard for me. You'ld say that it's easy, just because it's about yourself, but it's hard to be honest. I am honest about this poem, I want to be me! Hope you like it.. --- I'm tired tired of all those people around me tired of their long faces tired of their low level of energy I'm getting tired of them I want to be happy cheerfull maybe a litte weird but they don't let me I want to be me Maybe it's time for me to stop looking at them to stop thinking of them and be me without being selfish I am me ----------------------------------- Sweet Hermione 7th poem So, EPC - april. Subject: me. "Easy," I thought. I always write about my life, so... piece of cake. NOT! I couldn't think of ANYTHING to write about. It was pretty frustrating. Untill... (this is where the kettledrums come in xD) I couldn't sleep last night, so I took my notebook, with no intention of actually writing something. And suddenly, this came out. And I don't think I could write something that's more about me than this poem. So, here it is. (Oh, by the way, if you want to understand this poem, you've gotta know that my real name is Roos xD) --- It's the complexity of simplicity that keeps me writing about the little things in my life I saw a bird today She landed on my garden Wandered around for a while Pecked at the lawn Cleaned her feathers And Took wing And flew off I named her Roos ----------------------------------- Sweet Hermione And now, we want votes. A lot of votes. About the voting - Use more than 15 words to explain why you've chosen a certain poem. "I love it" won't do - You only have three votes. The first vote will be 3 points, the second vote 2 points, and your last vote will be 1 point. We will count all these points per person. The three poets with the most points are the winners. Please, place these votes in the same post and think before you make a choice, we don't appreciate cheaters - You have to vote before the given date, if you cast your vote later it doesn't count How to vote: My first/second/third vote goes to poem number: Because: You can vote till the 30th (24.00 o'clock.) of April. Good luck. ^^ ----------------------------------- Josse Finally! I didn't forget to vote! : D My first vote (3 pnts) goes to the first poem. Why? Because it reminded me of the works of Oscar Wilde. I don't believe I could pay you a bigger compliment, so here you go. I love the use of the words, the rithem and the question at the end. The poem sticks around. My seccond vote (2 pnts) goes to the fifth poem. I loved the idea of a broken smile, it reminded me of a picture I once saw. I love the theme of easilly going back, it makes persons looks so vunerable, that we always want to return to our savest harbour. My third vote (1 pnt) is for the seventh poem. It is indeed very short, and I belive the name Roos doesn't fit because it's a Dutch name and a English poetry. I would have picked Rose, but anyway. I love the idea of freedom, and in the simplisety of the poem, hides an enormous beauty. I liked it, it is very daring. ----------------------------------- Pottergirl This ain't gonna work if nobody's votin'! Come on people, vooooooting time! I had a hard time voting, because the poems are so personal, it's really hard to criticize them (in both the good and the bad way). I also noticed there were soooo much depressing poems, a lot of people seem to have had some really hard times in their life, or have a sort of pessimistic view on life! That really struck me. First vote: 1st Poem Why: I like the idea behind it. I like that you didn't rhyme because you thought rhyming makes a poem 'right', while the subject of your poem wasn't. I do have to admit I thought it was a poem that made me feel utterly hopeless. Second vote: 7th Poem Why: First of all, I adore the title. I really do xD Especially because the title's almost longer than the whole poem :') I just struggle a little with the 'Roos'-thing, just like Josse said. You could've changed it to 'Rose', because it fits better. But anyway, I really like the shortness and the simplicity of the poem. Third vote: 6th Poem Why: The whole concept behind this poem is the thing I like about it. The whole 'I am me'-thing. The poem sounds really self-conscious, which is a good thing (in my opinion). Chapeau (: ----------------------------------- child of the other side First of all I want to thank those two dearies who voted! SH and I really appreciate it. And of course, we thank the rest of you for participating. Since SH received all the poems I cannot tell who has won but I will edit this post later. (: 1st place; Poem number 1 - (40 sickles) 2nd place; Poem number 7 - (30 sickles) 3rd place; Poem number 5 - (20 sickles) Congrats everyone. The new contest will be opened asap. ----------------------------------- Sweet Hermione Congrats! 1st place: Poem 1 - Genner (40 sickles) 2nd place: Poem 7 - Loesewies Boterslag (30 sickles) 3rd place: Poem 5 - Catie (20 sickles) Poem 2 - Dark_angel Poem 3 - Pottergirl Poem 4 - Josse Poem 6 - Patricia -----------------------------------