BlueFalcon X. World War II That was the last time I spoke to Tom before Christmas arrived. I decided to go home over the holiday. There was nothing keeping me in Hogwarts. I needed some time to think. About Tom, mostly. What would happen now? I had no one. I was all alone. The following term I was mostly with Vespin. He was a good company, despite his sometimes strange behaviour. He was my only friend. I tried to avoid going to the girls’ lavatory. Seeing Myrtle as a ghost tore me up inside. Tom ignored me completely. He was up to something, but I didn’t know what, and I wasn’t in the position of finding out either. I tried to forget about it, but it was hard. I couldn’t forget the night Tom and I had shared. I knew he loved me. And I loved him. The term ended and a new summer vacation begun. My sixth year was over. I went home and had a rather boring summer. Nothing special happened. I liked the quiet. We have to move fast now. I will now take you to the beginning of my seventh year, the year of 1945… Ruby was sitting in her room, listening to the radio. They were talking about the Great War and about Adolf Hitler. Unfortunately Ruby never heard the end of the broadcast. She had to leave so she wouldn’t miss the train. The war had affected the Wizarding world too and many had died. But Hogwarts was safe. Of this Ruby was certain, and she was relieved that she was finally going back. She arrived at King’s Cross Station just in time and jumped on the train. From the window she waved goodbye to her grand father. It was warm in the wagon. She took of her jacket and found an empty compartment. She looked outside the window as the train left the station, and eventually London altogether. She closed her eyes and leaned her head back, suddenly realizing how tired she was. She was lulled to sleep and the train rocked her back and forth on the rocky roads across Scotland. She woke up later by a loud whistling noise. The train had stopped. Where they there already? Ruby looked outside the window. It was dark outside. Too dark to tell where they were. Had they broken down? No. It sounded like someone was getting onboard on the train. She could hear the doors creak as they opened. They closed with a slam and the train started moving again. Why did the train stop to pick up new passengers here? Ruby decided to change to her robes. They would probably be arriving soon. Her thoughts led her to Tom for the billionth time this holiday. She still hadn’t told anyone about his Horcruxes. She was too afraid. Her thoughts stayed with Tom until the train finally stopped in Hogsmeade. When she got off the train she could hear someone call her name. She looked around the misty station full of disoriented students until she finally saw Vespin. He walked up to her. “Hello Ruby. So, how was your summer?” the standard question. “Fine, thank you,” Ruby lied. She was just about to ask him the same thing when he cut her off. “Did you see the armed men who inspected the train? Probably from the war…” Vespin said. “Oh, so that’s why the train stopped?” Ruby asked. “Yes. The officers wanted to see what the train was transporting to Scotland, I presume.” “I see…” “Did you hear that Tom was made head boy? I only just remembered.” Vespin said to change the subject, but Ruby just waved the matter away. She didn’t want to talk about Tom. Not with anyone. Unfortunately that was not up to her. After the feast she was called to Dumbledore’s office. Ruby walked the stairs up to her Professor’s office with a heavy heart. Gently she knocked on the oak door. “Come in.” she heard her Professor’s voice from the inside. She walked inside and closed the door behind her. Dumbledore was sitting behind his desk, his hand fumbling with his auburn beard. He looked at Ruby, almost examining her. “You wanted to see me, sir?” Ruby said. “Yes. Please sit down.” Ruby did as she was told and watched Dumbledore serve himself some tea. “Can I offer you some tea, Ms. Boleyn?” Ruby shook her head. She hadn’t come to her Professor’s study to drink tea. She twitched nervously in her seat as Dumbledore took a sip of his tea, still not saying anything. Ruby decided to hurry the matter. “What was it you wanted to talk to me about?” she asked. “A quite unnecessary question, don’t you think. I wanted to talk to you about Tom Riddle. I heard that you’re not seeing him anymore.” Ruby’s heart missed a beat, “That’s true.” “That is probably a good idea, Ms. Boleyn. Dark times lie ahead. Very dark indeed.” He told her, putting down his cup. Ruby swallowed. What did he mean? “Did you question him about the Horcrux?” Dumbledore suddenly asked. Ruby froze by the use of that word. She hesitated. What would she say? What would happen if she told him the truth? Dumbledore, who was a very observant man, immediately noticed her doubt and leaned closer, his face very close to hers and his blue eyes looking straight at her. “Is there something you wish to tell me, Ruby?” Ruby looked up by the use of her first name. “I hope you realize the seriousness in this situation.” Dumbledore said, watching her every move. That was when she made a decision. “No. No, you were wrong. Tom has not killed anyone. You were wrong,” she repeated. Dumbledore leaned back in his seat and sighed. “You can go,” he said simply, his face showing an unreadable expression. Did he believe her? “But, sir-” “You better go, Ms. Boleyn. I don’t like to repeat myself.” There was something in the tone when he spoke to her. Disappointment rung in his voice. He knew she was lying. Ruby quickly got up from her seat and left the study. What would happen now? Had she made the right decision by lying? Half of her regretted what she had done, but there was no going back now. What was done was done. I realize that I might have done a big mistake in lying to Dumbledore that day, but I couldn’t tell him the truth. I had simply been unable to tell him that his suspicions were right because of the fear that he might do something do harm Tom. I was afraid. I didn’t know which side I was on and it confused me. I was lost and confused. The days went by and nothing happened, but I knew it was only a matter of time. Dumbledore would choose his opportunity. He needed proof since he didn’t have my confession. Christmas came, again, and then more months passed before anything really happened. On the last day of April, the 30th, Dumbledore called for me again and told me what was going to happen next. We are nearing the end of my story, the reason you’ve read all this, so please hear me out. I never meant for anyone to get hurt. I was confused. You can judge me for some of my bad decisions, go ahead I dare you, but remember that I did it for love. I was a beautiful day. The last day of April had arrived, Walpurgis Day. This was an ancient tradition. An old holiday, celebrated by witches and wizards all over the world to honour Saint Walpurga.This was Ruby’s favourite holiday. During the ceremony they would light a big fire for all the witches who were burned alive. As Ruby watched the Great Hall get decorated for the evening's feast Tom walked up behind her. “Beautiful, isn’t it?” he whispered in her ear. She spun around, facing him. He looked as handsome as ever. “Yes, very.” She replied curtly. He gave her a sweet smile. “I miss you.” He said. “Tom, don’t…” she couldn’t listen to this right now. She was trying her best to keep her heart from breaking. She was just about to walk away when Tom reached out and grabbed her arm. He took a firm grip and pulled her closer to him. Ruby cast a glance over at the Professor’s table. She saw Dumbledore eyeing them. “Tom, you’re scaring me. Please, let go of my arm,” she begged. Tom let go, looking around. “I love you.” He told her. “And I know you love me too.” Ruby shook her head. His words tore her up inside and she felt tears burn behind her eyes. “I’ve been thinking about you lately,” Tom continued. “Knowing that you’re not mine anymore is killing me! I need you!” Ruby looked up, “Dumbledore knows,” she whispered. She couldn’t keep it from him anymore. He had to know. Tom’s eyes darkened, “About what?” he asked, his voice cold and hard. “About everything. I think … I think he’s going to do something to you.” Ruby said. Tom seemed to be thinking. “I don’t know how he found out,” Ruby added, rubbing her sore arm, afraid to meet Tom’s eyes. She looked up at the enchanted ceiling. It was getting dark. Tom seemed to have noticed that too. Tom grabbed her hand. “Follow me!” He ordered. Frightened and confused, and scared by the tone of his voice, Ruby followed him. She cast one last glance at Dumbledore before they left the Great Hall. Tom dragged her by the hand into the Entrance Hall. It was empty. Tom let go of her and looked around to be sure that they were all alone. He looked different somehow. Something had changed. Ruby watched him take out a coin from his pocket and clenched his fist around it. He looked at Ruby and once again took a hold of her hand. Before she could ask what they were doing she felt the familiar and unpleasant sensation of travelling with a portkey. Darkness. -----------------------------------