child of the other side http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d118/marlietje/poemdinges.jpg Winners of the July contest: First place: Smoky Second place: Tarantallegra Third place: child of the other side Hello everybody and welcome to a new English Poetry Contest! This challenge will be organized every month, by Marlie (Child of the other side) and Charlotte (Sweet Hermione). The idea is very simple. We decide the subject, you write the poem. (And of course, we’ll try to make an entry as well.) This can be anything that’s inspiring; another poem, a lyric, a title, a picture, a word, etc. We’ll try to vary the subject as much as possible. ATTENTION EVERYONE, THERE IS A NEW RULE Every participant has to maintain the following rules - You are not allowed to write more than one poem per contest - The poem must be yours - The poem must have something to do with the subject. Please write a few words above/below your poem to tell us a little about it (just like you usually do) - Don’t comment on other people, you can do that via the pb-button or during the voting - Don’t make your poem too long, 5 pages about one subject is boring - Let someone beta it. There are many beta-readers on HPF and Cotos, TONKS and SH are willing to assist people who do want to compete but are not that good in English. With the right words your poem reads a lot easier. Don’t be ashamed just pb - You must send your poem to SH or to Cotos; you’re no longer allowed to post it by yourself About the voting. - Don’t vote for yourself nor before SH or I give permission. If you do your vote won't count - Explain with more then 15 words why you’ve chosen a certain poem. “I love it” won’t do - You only have three votes. The first vote will be 3 points, the second vote 2 points, and your last vote will be 1 point. We will count all these points per person. The three poets with the most points are the winners. Please, place these votes in the same post and think before you make a choice, we don’t appreciate cheaters - You have to vote before the given date, if you cast your vote later it doesn’t count Well, those were the rules and now the most important part; PRIZES! 1st place - 40 sickles 2nd place - 30 sickles 3rd place - 20 sickles No one can win the first price more than 3 times in a row. If so, SH and I will decide what to do. I hope you all understand why we do this. The subject of this contest will be a lyric. This lyric; Why How many times do I have to try to tell you That I'm sorry for the things I've done But when I start to try to tell you That's when you have to tell me Hey... this kind of trouble's only just begun I tell myself too many times Why don't you ever learn to keep your big mouth shut That's why it hurts so bad to hear the words That keep on falling from your mouth Falling from your mouth Falling from your mouth Tell me... Why Why I may be mad I may be blind I may be viciously unkind But I can still read what you're thinking And I've heard is said too many times That you'd be better off Besides... Why can't you see this boat is sinking (this boat is sinking this boat is sinking) Let's go down to the water's edge And we can cast away those doubts Some things are better left unsaid But they still turn me inside out Turning inside out turning inside out Tell me... Why Tell me... Why This is the book I never read These are the words I never said This is the path I'll never tread These are the dreams I'll dream instead This is the joy that's seldom spread These are the tears... The tears we shed This is the fear This is the dread These are the contents of my head And these are the years that we have spent And this is what they represent And this is how I feel Do you know how I feel ? 'cause I don't think you know how I feel I don't think you know what I feel I don't think you know what I feel You don't know what I feel (This lyric belongs to Annie Lennox, don’t steal or reproduce it please.) The task is simple; you can choose whether you write a poem about the whole lyric/a stanza/a sentence/the title/the expressions/etc. You can also use words of the lyric in your poem or name your poem after one of the phrases. The only thing that’s not allowed is to use more than one whole sentence of the lyric in your poem. Please send your poem between the 4th and the 22th of August to us (Cotos will go on holiday on the 10th so please send your poems to SH after that date.) And you can vote between the 23th and 30th of August. We wish everybody good luck and lots of fun. If you have any suggestions, tips, notes or ideas; feel free to use the lovely pb-button, it’s begging to be pushed. Charlotte (Sweet Hermione) and Marlie (Cotos). -----------------------------------